History of Bellflower Kiwanis
H I S T 0 R Y OF THE K I W A N I S C L U B OF B E L L F L 0 W E R
HISTORY of the KIWANIS CLUB OF . BELLFLOWER
RALPH G. McCLURG
The following is a summary of the activities of
the Kiwanis Club of Bellflower. It ... is not intended
to be a comprehensive review since the bulk of
materials set aside for such use cannot be found.
However, the writer, with the assistance of many
presidents and past members, has tried to put
together known and verified facts recalled by
memory and through the use of ·the files of the
Long Beach Press Telegram and the Bellflower
HISTORY of the KIWANIS CLUB OF BELLFLOWER
RALPH G. McCLURG
The Kiwanis Club of Bellflower was officially instituted at a Charter
Presentation Banquet held at the Lakewood Country Club on the evening of
Friday, June 23, 1933. The club was sponsored by the Hynes-Clearwater
(now Paramount) Kiwanis Club. More than 300 were in attendance.
The club's institution brought one of the many "firsts" to the community
of Bellflower. The Kiwanis Club of Bellflower started off by being
the first club in the International organization to have the top four international
officers in attendance at its charter presentation. These were
Carl Endicott, International President; Andrew Whyte of Canada and
Joshua Johns of the United States, International Vice Presidents; and
Fred. C. W. Parker, International Secretary.
The Charter was presented by Vernon V. Spencer, who was Immediate
Past Lieutenant Governor of Kiwanis District No. 1 at that time. Bellflower's
own Joe Williams, President of the Bellflower Rotary Club, gave
the welcoming address.
The Charter Membership of the Kiwanis Club of Bellflower included
27 area professional and business men ranging from engineers, teachers,
medical doctors, veterinarians, dairymen, auto repair, Chamber of
Commerce secretary and the news media.
The charter president was E. A. Sheldon, M. D. ; Thomas P. Reid,
Lumber dealer, Vice President; Clair E. Leedom, retail ice dealer,
Treasurer; and Leo L. Cameron, Chamber of Commerce manager,
Club Directors for the initial year included F. B. "Carp"
Carpenter, retail dairyman; W. J. Cleveland, veterinarian; Harry
O. Van Petten, school official; Ray D. Hoffmire, retail drugs; Roy
E. Moore, garage owner; and Earl B. lay, M. D.
The club's original roster, with "nickname" and profession, was
made up of: Walter J. "Walt" Bowen, dentist; C. A. "Frenchie"
Brenier, food market; Carl C. Bush, sanitation engineer; Leo L.
Cameron, Chamber of Commerce secretary; F. B. "Carp" Carpenter,
retail dairy; W. J. "Cleve" Cleveland, veterinary surgeon; Kenneth
"Kenny" Garrison, signs; Louis J. "Louie" Gasper, retail drugs;
Adlai Hauck, sand and gravel; Louis E. "Lou" Head, newspaper; Ray
D. Hoffmire, retail drugs; Ross Jeanson, auto insurance; Charles J.
"Charlie" Koelzer, retail dairy.
Clair E. Leedom, retail ice; Roy E. Moore, general garage;
John H. "Jack" Martin, restaurant; James E. ~'Jimmie" Nicholas, life
insurance; Harold "Hal" O'Sullivan, service station; Earl B. Ray,
physician; Thomas P. "Torn" Reid, lumber.
Ben S. Reznick, shoes; True "Rip" Ripple, retail autos; E. A .
. "Shelley" Sheldon, M. D.; William R. "Bill" Shattuck, grammar schools;
Harry "Van" Van Petten, high school; Jess Webster, auto repair; and
Walter F. W. "Java" Ziegler, nurseryman.
The officers and directors of the club-to-be maneuvered the Number
One "First" for the club by having the top four officers of Kiwanis
International as well as other local area and state dignitaries in attendance
at the charter party by delaying the event until the Kiwanis International
Convention was held. Los Angeles was the International Convention
city that year.
Many have asked why another men's service club was bei~g established
in Bellflower, a community with less than 7, 000 population with a
large majority of its working people residing on small ranches that
stretched from north of Imperial Highway to the wide-open farm land
south of Rose St;reet on the south.
Lakewood was non-existent at that time. The tiny hamlets of Hynes
and Clearwater(now Paramount) formed the west boundary and Artesia,
still a smaller community along Pioneer Boulevard, made up the eastern
boundary. However, with the Hynes-Clearwater Club's support and
despite the era -- the heart of the great depression of the thirties -- the
local businessmen could see·-the need.
Many of the local Kiwanis Club organizers had been rejected from
membership in the Bellflower Rotary Club due to regulations by most
such service organizations that limit memberships to two classifications
for each occupation or profession.
The initial officers and directors with the; time and energy and a
lift from the community's Rotarians joined together and formed the Kiwanis
Club of Bellflower. The move was not in vain as the club has been one of
the leading service organizations in Southeast Los Angeles County as well
.as Kiwanis District No. One and Division Thirteen o.f California-NevadaHawaii
District of Kiwanis International.
The club's membership has not grown fast, but steadily; except for
the period immediately following the membership's vote to change from
evening to noon meetings, which forced several long-time members to
resign. One of these was Arthur Steinman, operator of a one-man service
station; he was President in 1942 and had 25 years of perfect attendance
before the meetings were changed in 1964.
Except for that brief period, our club has showed continual growth.
Under the 1977-78 leadership of President Wayne Thompson, an.d membcrship
chairman Richard "Dick" Mefferd, this year's list of new memhers.
is expected to exceed the Division goal set for our club.
The first decade after formal organization of our club saw a great
improvement in participation in civic and community affairs in ~he Bellflower
area. The special emphasis of service by our club was in the fields
of work with youth.
The major committees during that period included the Boys and
Girls, Agriculture, and Public and Business Committees.
During the initial years of our club, and with Bellflower being the
heart of the "million dollar" a month dairy industry, the club's Agriculture
Committee took the lead in assisting high school youngsters attending
Excelsior High School with the Future Farmers of America Chapter at
At that time Excelsior High was the only .,secondary public school
between Whittier and Long Beach. The school had one of the best agriculture
programs in the state. Our own charter member F. B. "Carp"
Carpenter, who says he has served as a member of the Agriculture Committee
more times than he can count, became so involved with the student
"Ag" work, he later became a teacher at the school in dairy management.
For several years throughout the history of our club we have contributed
financially in sending Excelsior delegates to national conventions
of the Future Farmers of America (FFA).
Other youth programs our club members involved themselves in
included Boy Scout~, Girl Scouts, and the Camp Fire Girls. It was an
annual tradition in the club's early days to be entertained by students at
Bellflower's St. John Bosco High School at an annual Christmas program.
Each year following the St. John Bosco/Kiwanis Club Holiday party, the
club presented the boys' school with athletic equipment costing several
hundreds of dollars. The school was open to boys from throughout the
nation, regardless of their religion or race. Both rich and poor boys
from fourth grade through high school attended and lived at the school.
Before Mr. Carpenter, our senior member, became involved with
Kiwanis he had taught agriculture in South Dakota and later was manager
of an agricultural farm school at the Uni ve rsi ty of Minne so ta. Conse -
qucntly, the more "Carp" became involved in the FFA work at Excelsior
the more the club got into assisting at the local high school. Several
years before "Carp's" retirement he served as administrative assistant
at Excelsior Adult Center. At the same time the club became involved in
assisting dairy ranchers, poultry farmers and citrus tree growers. Those
businesses were the ba.ckground of the economy in the greater Bellflower
area in the early days.
During the history of the Bellflower Kiwapis Club, fifteen members
of the club served as President of the Bellflower Chamber of Commerce.
The list includes Robert "Bob" Parsonson, charter president of the Bellflower
Board of Trade, the forerunner of the Chamber. Mr. Parsonson
was the father of Mrs. Joyce Brakensiek, widow of Dr. Clifton Brakcnsiek,
president of our club in 1954 and one of the major contributors to
our scholarship programs and in our Boys and Girls health services
programs. He also served as head of the Long Beach Area Boy Scout Council
for many years.
WORLD WAR II
Then along came the 1940's and immediately after Pearl Harbor on
December 7, 1941 and our nation's involvement in World War Two, our
club.set up and manned a Sky Watch program at the old "Bellflower Airport".
The airport was located southeast of the present Bellflower High
Designed to lend impetus to the planting of "Victory Gardens", in
1943 our club, in cooperation with the Agriculture Department at Excelsior
High School sponsored an area-wide garden contest.
The Bellflower Kiwanis Club furnished the funds to buy war bonds
and stamps for the prizes awarded winners in a dozen categories. This
placed youth of the area in competition with their fathers. and mothers and
grandparents in growing the best gardens. Kiwanians and teachers served
as judges for the contests that took several months.
The big Red-Letter Day in the history of the Kiwanis Club of Bellflower
was recorded on Thursday evening, Nov~·mber 17, 1949. It was
the dedication of the $50, 000 Kiwanis-Girl Scout Hall, 9302 E. Laurel St.,
which members of the fifty-man service club built and financed by themselves.
"Dedicated to Bellflower Girl Scouts by Members of the Kiwanis Club
of Bellflower". Such was the simple phrase on the plaque presented to
Mrs. Richard Barton, president of the Bellflower Area Girl Scout Council,
by Kiwanian Floyd Maxham, program chairman.
Built into that phrase were three years of literally back-breaking
work, hours on hours of planning, and thousands on thousands of dollars
in capital outlay on the part of Kiwanians. In it was the hearty cooperation
of community residents, merchants, Girl Scout workers and the school
Nearly 200 Kiwanians, Girl Scout leaders and civic leaders of the
area were in attendance. H. Park Arnold, California-Nevada-Hawaii
District Governor for Kiwanis, termed the club's achievement as a
conc.rete symbol of service club work for youth. He noted that, fittingly
enough, the dedication came coincidentally with "National Kids Day"
sponsored by Kiwanis International.
Like compliments were paid the club by Eugene Tichner, Long
Beach, Kiwanis Division 13 Governor, and "Tommy" Thompson, South
Gate, Lieutenant Governor-Elect, who were also in attendance.
The late Dr. Earl B. Ray, past president and "dean" of Bellflower
Kiwanians, who served as master of ceremonies, commented briefly on
the club members' successful venture. "We've worked hard on this
project. Many have given money, many have given elbow grease and
many have given good will. It all went together to complete this fine
building," he concluded.
Lieutenant Governor Tincher declased, "I have marveled that men
who are busy with important business affairs of ·their own take time out
from their private lives to devote to a project which would result in
concrete form such as this building. It is truly a fine example of our
Kiwanis motto, 'We Build'."
The dedication crowd heard a special radio broadcast of the program
publicizing National Kids Day which was to be held the following day
throughout th.e nation under Kiwanis Internatio·nal auspices. President
Ted McQuillin presided with Dr. Ray at the meeting.
It was estimated that 8, 000 man-hours of volunteer Kiwanis labor
were spent on building the clubhouse, comprising of some 7, 500 square
feet of floor space. The building provides a 250-person seating capacity
banquet room, kitchen, walk-in refrigerator, ladies lounge and rest
rooms, Girl Scout office and meeting room and Kiwanis Board room.
The building was converted from a war surplus building, originally
serving as an officers' mess hall at Terminal Island. Some of the materials
for remodeling the building were donated. However, the actual cash
was .raised by members purchasing Building Bonds that were eventually
paid off by subsequent club projects.
Most of the money paid for interest to the purchasers was returned
to the club in the form of "fines". Some of the capital outlay was donated
as an outright gift.
According to Past President E. Thornton Ibbetson, Financial
advisor for the club for several years, the Bellflower Kiwanis Hall was
valued at $110, 000 as of August, 1978. In addition, the furniture and
fixtures, including kitchen equipment, is valued at $6, 000.
The Kiwanis Hall is located on land owned by the Bellflower Unified
School District and under lease to the Kiwanis Club of Bellflower through
the Bellflower Kiwanis Foundation.
The Kiwanis building came into being as a result of a vital need for
the relocation of the Girl Scout executive office~·after a building in which
they were previously quartered, located in John Simms Park, was condemned.
The project began in 1947 during Attorney Joe Coady's reign as
president. The work continued throughout 1948 under Attorney Newel
Crowley's presidency and the building was completed in 1949 under the
presidency of Ted McQuillin. However, the clubhouse was used for club
meetings for nearly a year before being completed and dedicated.
The clubhouse dedication banquet program shows that there are
only six members listed who are still in the club. They are Hyman E.
"Hy" Bubar, F. B. "Carp" Carpenter, E. Thornton "Ibby" Ibbetson,
Ralph "Scoop" McClurg, Robert "Bob" Prigmore, and Edgar "Whizzer"
The High School National Record Relays, originally sponsored by the
Bellflower Kiwanis Club were planned in 1957 with the first competition
being held on April 5, 1958. The winner of the event was Dallas Long of
North Phoenix, Airzona. The first meet attracted over 500 high school
relay stars from more than 30 high schools in California and Arizona •
President Thornton "Ibby" Ibbetson was at the helm of the club. whe~
the relays were launched. Kiwanis International President was in attendance
to present the Earl Ray Memorial Trophy to Long, the winner. The success
of the relays created a tax problem the club had with admissions, and also
a problem with the handling of the profits in a non-taxable manner.
Therefore, President Ibbetson appointed a committee to look into the
formation of an eleemosynary corporation, which is a foundation operated
for charitable, educational or research purposes under the laws of the State
of California and also the U. S. Internal Revenue Service. This committee
was chai~ed by Robert Sowell, attorney, and Vic~ Chairmanned by David
Menkes, a C. P.A. Members of the committee'included President Ibbetson,
Charles Kendle, Robert Prigmore and Marion Shipe. The Bellflower Kiwanis
Foundation was in existence by 1960 after completing a series of governmental
'red tape' procedures.
Upon formation of the Foundation, all assets of the Kiwanis Club of
Bellflower were turned over to the Foundation, including the building, the
furniture, fixtures and equipment within the building. The assets also included
all monies raised from the relays and other income that was not consider_
ed dues for the .benefit of the members. The assets also included the
free use of the offices by the Girl Scouts as their headquarters for the Bellflower
Area Girl Scout District, and rents received from various churches
for religious and educational purposes now all go to the Foundation.
The club's firewords program also began in 1958 with Earl Barton,
a past president, serving as Chairman. Bellflower Kiwanis had firework~
permit No. l, issued by the city after incorporation, and the
club has had the city permit No. 1 every year since.
The location of the fireworks stand has always been on property·
donated by the Union Development Company, Inc. The first stand was
located at 8601 Artesia Blvd. on the northeast corner of Artesia Blvd.
and Passage Avenue. It has been in the same general area ever since.
Past president Ibbetson estimated that the income from the fireworks
stand for the support of handicapped children and college scholarship
programs has totaled between $40, 000 and $45, 000. 00.
The official Scholarship Program of the Kiwanis Club of Bellflower
was inaugurated by the Foundation in 1959. The initial Scholarship Committee
consisted of Charles Kendle, Clarence Rendahl, Thornton Ibbetson,
Bob Prigmore and Stan Massey. .,
A number of donations were made to the Foundation by the late Dr.
Clifton Brakensiek for foreign exchange students. However, the general
program of the Foundation has been to select between 25 and 30 top
~pplicants from the various high schools serving Bellflower.
Through a screening process by the Scholarship Committee, these
applicants are screened to five finalists, each of whom are interviewed
by each member of the committee. From these five are chosen the
Scholarship recipients -- at least one, and usually two.
The Scholarship winners are awarded an amount of money to be
paid each year, or each semester, to any college they choose to attend
as long as the recipient is making the grades necessary to complete
their chosen major.
The scholarship awards are estimated to cost between $1, 700. and
$3, 000. each year, depending on how many students the club has in the
program at one time. It has been estimated that the Mexican Exchange
stude.nt fund was between $3, 000. and $5, 000.
The Kiwanis Club of Bellflower has carried on a program for
physically and mentally handicapped persons for the past twenty years •
The program was first started by Past president Harold Addington, .his
late wife Mabel and their son Jimmy, who has a handicap himself.
The initial program involved the use of our hall one evening a week
for all handicapped of Bellflower. A Kiwanian was assigned to be host
each week and furnish food and drinks while the handicaps entertained
themselves at playing pool, cards or shuffle board and at times entertainment
provided by the club. The luncheon usually included hot dogs,
soda pop, milk and a dessert or whatever the host of the evening wanted
Since 1975 and under the presidency of Wi,lliam Reavis the club,
with the cooperation of Downey and Bellflower Unified School District
and the City of Bellflower, has sponsored a swim program for the handicapped
and supported the Special Olympics held each year on the U. C. L.A •
The Youth Services Programs can be classified as both Boys and
Girls and as Vocational Guidance work. Six-week swim sessions were
provided to give swimming lessons to the handicapped from schools in
both Bellflower and Downey. The pool facilities in Bellflower's Mayne
Thompson Park were furnished by the Bellflower Parks and Recreation
D<'partment free of charge .
. The guiding hands behind the swim program as well as sponsoring
the handicapped youth and the Special Olympics were Gary Morse and
;ind his Kiwaniannc Betty. Betty is a former physic;il education
instructor at Downey High School. All members of the club, their
Kiwaniannes and members of their family are needed to assist the
handicapped in the planned continuing program.
The Bellflower Swim Team instructed by Mrs. Morse won a
"first" in the Special Olympics Swim Relays for the past four conse-.
cutive years. During the 1978 Olympics the Bellflower youngsters
won 12 gold medals, 3 silver and 4 bronze medals and 1 fourth in the
Each weekly swim session at Thompson pool attracted up to as
many as 70 handicapped. The program has been termed one of the
most successful of its kind in the area.
In 1973 while en route to the district convention at San Diego,
President-elect Richard Holtz saw a huge American Flag flying at
Camp Pendleton near Oceanside. He immediately came up with an
idea of a project that he thought was ripe for the Bellflower Kiwanis
It was the flying of a similar sized flag night and day in Bellflower.
During his presidency in the 1973-74 term, the club approved
the project and plans were put into action to fly the highest and largest
American Flag in the area on State Department of Highways property
along Artesia Freeway (Route 91) at Bellflower Boulevard.
After several months of legal maneuvering to obtain the necessary
permits from the State Department and the City, volunteer work was
started. Now a lighted 30' x SO' flag is flying night and day from a
110-foot pole. The original 20' x 30' flag flown from an 88' pole was
stol~n the night of the first day it was installed. After some rigging
modifications a new and larger flag was flying from a higher pole.
The flag was dedicated to the citizens of Bellflower and all loyal
Americans on July 7, 1974. Initially, the club had committed it.s elf to
$600 for the project. However, the eventual cost came to more than
$3, 000 without the costs of the flags which run approximately $600 each.
The lifetime of such a huge flag, considering weather conditions, is from
three to four months.
Members of the original committee included Hans Engler, past
president and former Bellflower Mayor Ken Cleveland, past president
Holtz, and past president Wayne Thompson.
In commenting on the cost of the project and the continuing expense,
past president Holtz said, "The cost to the club is a continuing obligation;
so is being -an American citizen." He added, "Maybe that is what it is
all about -- a reminder to those who may have forgotten."
The Bellflower Neon Sign Company assisted Kiwanians in designing
and raising the pole. When flags become soiled or worn, Bellflower City
crews with hydraulic equipment assist the Kiwanians in the replacing of
HOT CAKES FOR ALL
It would be conservative ~o say that the Kiwanians of Bellflower
have served more than 100, 000 rich, fluffy pancakes during their Annual
Pancake Break.fasts. All it takes is some simple math with a check of the
invoices for the flour and other ingredients to make up the cakes under a
special "Kiwanis" formula. A study of the bills will show that we have
used more than a ton of ready-mixed flour, plus rich milk, eggs, oil,
vanilla and sugar.
This project, with every Kiwanian involved at the same time, is
considered one of the best fellowship development programs operated by
the club. Assisting the Kiwanians are their Kiwaniannes, Keywanettes,
Key Clubbers and Boy and Girl Scouts.
To add to the fellowship of the dishwashers, cooks, waiters and
waitresses, ticket takers, greeters, set-up and mop-up crews,. the
project is one of the club's top fund raising events.
Serving for the annual feast begins at 7:00 a. m. and continues
until the final prb~e drawing at 1:00 p. m. The lines of patrons are
continuous with the hall being filled to capacity most of the time. It's a
once-a-year time when many of the community's busy residents see
friends they haven't seen since the previous year's breakfasts. They
keep saying, "Once you go, you never miss if it is at all possible to go. "
The breakfasts have nette4 from $1, 200. to $2, 500. annually.
Generally most all members of the club are in their assigned places
before 7:00· a. m. or they pay at subsequent meetings.
Bill Munroe, although a florist by profession, can be called a
professionalist when it comes to being "the chief boss" of the traditional
breakfasts. In addition to ordering all the supplies, seeing to it that the
tablr.s are set, the cake griddles are in operation and the work crew is
on hand, he arrives on the scene before 5:00 a. in. the day of the event.
It's an "order" from the "boss" that the crew must cat before
serving time at 7:00 a. m. and Bill is still on the job until after the mopup
crew finished its work in the late afternoon, as he assumes the
_responsibility of seeing that all left-overs, if any, are returned and
proper credit is given on the invoices.
Pancake Breakfast Chairman Bill Munroe has served in that capacity
for the last. five of the .seventeen annual breakfasts conducted by the club
under the current series. The club did have a series of pancake breakfasts
in the early 19SO's, but those events did not prove as successful as
those now underway.
At that time the Board of Directors voted to discontinue th.e breakfasts
in favor of a series of stage productions which they thought would
bl.' more profitable. These were held annually at the Excelsior High
School Auditorium. Large crowds were attracted to the annual three-day
runs of "April Showers" and other musicals, staged. with a professional
director and club members being the characters .
But, only experience tells, and the series was dropped after it
was discovered "acting" really takes talent and time. Every member of
the club had a part, and many had two or more, in each production. This
meant six weeks of three-nights-a-week rehearsals by each member.
In 1973 President Richard Holtz assisted Agriculture Committee
Chairman Fred Carpenter in inaugurating a tree project that extended for
several years. President Holtz became interested in trees when he took
an active part in a Long Beach Area Boy Scout tree planting project in the
Will J. Reid Scout Camp that year.
The Agriculture Committee later bought 200 Monterey Pine seedlings
in gallon cans for $106. In March of 1976 the committee replanted the
young trees into five gallon containers and the following year some were
.replanted into 15 gallon containers and at the project's final work session
in 1978 the last of the 200 trees were transplanted in large boxes.
In 1977 the Agriculture and Conservation: Committee turned over
$165. to the club treasury from earlier sale of some of the trees. The
sum, although greatly appreciated, is only a token when compared to the
appreciation of thousands of tree lovers for the donation of the trees.
Trees were planted in parks, near hospitals, on library grounds,
and many used for Christmas trees. The City of Bellflower was given
fifty trees for planting in the Gene List Municipal Course, another thirty
w<·1·e given to the~ City to replace those torn up by 1978 winter ":'inds and
another twenty-five were given to the City of Cerritos for planting in the
Los .Angeles County Regional Park in that city. One tree was given to
the Paramo~t Kiwanis Club on its Golden Anniversary for planting in a
park in that city. Paramount Kiwanis sponsored the Bellflower club·
when it was instituted.
Members of the Agriculture and Conservation Committee working
on the tree project included Carpenter, Chairman; Bill Van Setten,
George Rohrer, Les Orr and George Truesdale.
The Kiwanis Club of Bellflower in the early 1950's set an attendance
record that we believe has never been broken, or even challenged to our
knowledge: The entire club, under Attendance Chairman Dr. Earl Ray,
had perfect attendance for twenty-six months. However, the pressure
on several members to attend became so great that the Board of Directors
voted to relieve the strain of maintaining a perfect record.
The club throughout its history has voted to, and granted, honorary
memberships for outstanding community leadership for special achievements.
The list includes the late C. S. Thompson, Sr., Dr. W. 0. Cleveland,
Robert "Bob" Baker, Chris Myron, Oscar McCracken, Jimmy
Addington and William "Bill" Peairs.
The Kiwanis Club of Bellflower has been represented in Kiwanis
Division by four Lieutenant Governors. This list includes Don C. Tierney,
Dr. Harold "Hap" Mourer, M. D., and William "Bill" Reavis. Past
president Clarence Rendahl was named Lt. Gov. but died of a sudden
heart attack before he was installed.
In turning the reins of the club's 45th year of service over to
President-elect Gary Morse, President Wayne Thompson noted that the
club had operated during the past year under the International theme of
•iReach Out". He said, "Through this program the men of Kiwanis have
found that they are able to reach further, higher, and lift greater loads
when banded together under a single banner of service to youth, the
aged and the handicapped with application of high social, business and
He added, "We work by precept and example to develop a more
intelligent, aggressive, and serviceable Citizenship. A single thread
of service ties these men together in service to the community in which
they live or work.
"The academic scholarships at Bellflower and St. John Bosco each
year and the vocational incentives at three Bellflower high schools and
one junior high school are a small part of the many ways we support the
youth of the community.
"We sponsor two Key Clubs and a Keywanette Club, and provide
facilities for the Girl Scout Council. We provide vocational counseling
and a post-high school incentive program unique to the Kiwanis Club of
President Thompson continued, "The aged of our area have not
been forgotten, due to our program of sending birthday cards and providing
birthday cakes for the elderly at rest homes of the community.
"Kiwanis also serves through members on the City Council, City
Commissions, School Board and special committees. There has been
al lt'aot one Kiwanian serving on the Bellflower City Council nlmost
continuously since incorporation of the city in 1958.
"In the coming year as we continue these ._?rograms and initiate new
ones, members of Kiwanis, I hope, will find that the more one .g ives of
himself the richer his life," President Thompson concluded.
1933 - A .. E. Sheldon, M. D. >'.c
1934 - Earl Ray, M. D. *
1935 - Carl Busch
1936 - Harry Van Petten
1937 - Tom Reid*·
1938 - F. B. Carpenter
1939 - Art Kolstad
1940 - Corwin Johnson
1940 - Walt Bowen, D. D. 5.
1941 - Walt Bowen, D. D. 5.
1942 - Art St~inman
1943 - L. S. Arritt~c
1944 - Don Tierney*
1945 - Lou Head*
1946 - Keith Walker*
1947 - Joe Coadyt.c
1948 - Newell S •. Crowley
1949 - Ted McQuillin
1950 - Robert Prigmore
1951 - Bob Whitney
1952 - Harold Mourer, M~~D. *
1953 - Jesse Nixon>'.c
1954 - C. M. Brakensiek, M. D. *
1955 - Charles Kendle
1956 - Harold Addington
1957 - Marion Shipe*
1958 - E. Thornton Ibbetson
1959 - Medford Cogburn
1960 - Earl Barton
1961 - Ralph McClurg
1962 - Robert Sowell
1963 - Clarence Rendahl*
1964 - Patrick Do Brody
1965 - Howard J. Buysman
1966 - Stanley P. Massey
1967 - Herman.Goslins
1968 - Raymond C. Karst
1969 - Les Orr
1969-1970 - Jack Cox
1970-1971 - Ken Cleveland
1971-1972 - George Marsh
1972-1973 - George Rohrer
1973-1974 - Dick Holtz ·;
1974-1975 - Bernie Ravin
1975-1976 - William Reavis
1976-1977 - Charles Kinnick
1977-1978 - Wayne Thompson
19 .?..9-1980 -